Witnessing a Signature on a Document
A reminder that the act of witnessing a signature is a key part of the execution of a document, with other steps needed to ensure the document’s integrity is maintained. It is not sufficient to simply confirm the person’s identity and witness their signature.
So, what are the steps to be followed prior to signing that we have witnessed the client signing a document?
- Identify the Client
- Read all provided instructions
- Check for and attend to alterations
- Check for and attend to blanks and gaps
- Check the pages are numbered
- Have the Client sign the document
- Justice witnesses with stamps and signature
- Client and Justice initial each page of the document (except the signing page)
Ministerial Manual Chapter 4, Art 4.2.1 refers.