Use of the letters ‘JP’ – Friendly Reminder
When signing a document as a Justice of the Peace, you should add the letters JP after your signature.
The letters ‘JP’ may be used on
- personal business cards
- personal notepaper
- signatures on personal correspondence
- personal website, or personal social media
The letters ‘JP’ should not be used on
- your company business card
- your company website
- after your signature block on company emails
- on your driving licence
- anywhere that may advance trade, professional or business interests. (See Ministerial Manual, Section 11.9)
The letters should never be used in such a way as to appear to enhance the status of the Justice of the Peace relative to other people or to imply superiority in any way.