Things have changed, and it is now very important that the following process or procedure be followed to prevent any misunderstanding or rejection of an application to retire or resign as a Justice of the Peace.

A completed web-based form previously used no longer meets the threshold, and requests received via a digital form sourced online that are not physically signed by the Justice in the proper fashion will be ignored.

In order to prevent any misunderstandings, whether by the Justice, an association, the Royal Federation, or Ministry of Justice (MoJ) personnel, with immediate effect, ALL requests for retirement status or resignations will only be considered in line with the legislated requirement that the request be made in writing and appropriately addressed to the Secretary for Justice.  The MoJ requires that all requests be signed by the Justice.  For clarity, the request cannot be signed on behalf of the Justice by another person.  If the Justice cannot sign the letter for any reason (dementia, etc), the request will not be considered, and the person will maintain their position as a Justice.

IMPORTANT – It needs to be emphasised that a request signed by an attorney, whether supported by a Power of Attorney or not, does not meet the threshold required and therefore will not be processed.

So when considering if you are ready for retirement or resignation, your response to the following questions should be taken into account:

  • Do you have ongoing health issues?
  • Have your living arrangements changed in that it is now difficult to see clients?
  • Can you administer all aspects of being a Justice of the Peace e.g. affidavits, electronic certifications?
  • Do you own and operate a computer so that you can remain accredited and receive email updates?
  • Can you attend HUB Training and your local Support Group Meeting?

To ensure that the correct processes and procedures have been followed, a draft retirement/resignation letter is provided by clicking HERE.  When the letter has been completed and signed by the Justice, it is requested that the signed letter be passed via the Registrar, AJPA to ensure that administrative action is completed by the association.  The letter will then be forwarded to the Secretary of Justice on your behalf by the Registrar.

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By :