NOTES FROM COUNCIL MEETING – JULY 2022
The Council of the Auckland Justices of the Peace Association held its monthly meeting on July 13, 2022.
- The AJPA website has had some major ‘behind the scenes’ changes. Searchers are now directed to Service Desks in the first instance, and then they can search for individual Justices. This change is in response to the request from the Support Group Coordinators and Rosterers at their May meeting and it seems to be working well.
- Very successful and enjoyable afternoon tea was hosted by the Governor General, Dame Cindy Kiro, to mark 100 years since our Association’s founding. Past Presidents and Council members were among those able to reminisce about the changes in JP service delivery.
- Another six new Justices were sworn in in June. Numbers are still being tightly restricted.
- 450 contacts have been made with those members not accredited. Some have indicated they are not interested, and approximately a third have enrolled for online accreditation courses for August or October.
- Plans are being made for our combined AGM/Regional Conference in September – more details to come. But now is the time to consider nominations for Council members.
- Hub Professional Development sessions have been completed for 2022. Nearly 450 Justices utilised the opportunity to update their knowledge. 18 hours of training took place at 9 locations across our region – thank you to those who attended for participating in discussions and increasing their knowledge and effectiveness.
- Induction Training and Swearing In Refreshers for provisional Justices have got underway, now that there is more certainty about group gatherings under Covid. Some provisional Justices have been waiting many months.
- Gift cards to say ‘thank you’ to Justices for some of the expenses incurred in our work have now all been mailed. Many have expressed their thanks for the recognition, made possible thanks to Lottery funding.
- Electronic rosters are proving useful for several more Support Groups, including those with multiple Service Desks.
- Planning is being refined for the Centennial Dinner to be held at the Royal Yacht Squadron clubhouse on October 15. Details to follow.